Monday 8 July 2013

Super Awesome Dairy and Wheat Free Chocolate Cake

Hi Peeps, hope you're all well. This week I'm going to tell you how I made the awesome dairy and wheat free chocolate cake I showed you a few weeks ago. I remade it and discovered that its even nicer with served hot with ice cream. hmmmmmmm. You can find the full recipe here: http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/CHOCOLATE-OLIVE-OIL-CAKE-5551 



This recipe uses ground almonds instead of flour and olive oil instead of butter. You mix up cocoa powder and boiling water and set aside along with a bowl of the ground almonds, salt and bicarb. Then beat together eggs, olive oil and sugar and add the chocolate and dry ingredients slowly. The batter is extremely runny and I would advise using a paper casing in your cake pan if you have one, especially if there's more batter than pan like in my case!



The cake does sink once you take it out of the oven but don't fret, you haven't done anything wrong. Let the cake cool a bit and then gobble it all up!! 

Other bakes this week:

 Fifteens. I discovered these whilst at Uni as one of my flat mates is Northern Irish. She got sent some by her Gran and I fell in love! They're so simple but so delicious. The recipe is: 15 crushed digestives, 15 large chopped marshmallows, 15 chopped glace cherries and enough condensed milk to combine. Roll into a sausage and over some desiccated coconut, chill and slice.  

 Meringues. Classic summery meringues. Good think I baked them in the morning as I didn't think to check how long they took to cook, 2 hours!! It was worth the wait to eat with strawberries and cream. Hello? Eton mess? You're amazing, thanks x
Ribena Ice Lollies. If you've been in England this week you wont be surprised by the fact that its been over 20 degrees and not cloudy!! How out of character, but how awesome. It is perfect weather to put my new lolly moulds I got for my birthday into use. And they're just so cute! :)






Marshmallow Chronicles:

This week's flavour is.. *pause for effect* ..Lemon meringue!! 
Just look at the pie slice made from many squishy pillows of epicness. The bottom layer has fresh lemon juice and zest and some natural lemon flavouring to give it a bit more of a kick. The top layer is the normal vanilla marshmallow. They complement each other perfectly and it actually tastes like the real thing without the pie crust. Simply Divine, definitely a make again. 

Thanks for reading, I'm gonna go out and enjoy this strange English weather.
Toodles,
Somnium x

No comments:

Post a Comment