Sunday 21 July 2013

The Weird Named 'Flapper' Pie

The humble Flapper pie. I'm sure you've heard of it.. no? Well I'm not surprised, I hadn't until the other day when I was watching TV so I did some research. It turns out that it is from Canadian prairie culture. The pie consists of a buttery biscuit base (try not to think of the song it'll be in your head for hours) filled with custard and then topped with meringue. 














It was.. different. It was definitely tasty but the texture was weird to get used to, but I did come around to it. Its made me want to try the more well known cream pie, where you use whipped cream instead of meringue. That would be wonderful. I cant remember the exact recipe that I used but I based the majority of it of this website: http://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/flapper-pie-the-lost-prairie-pie

Other bakes this week:

Chocolate and cheesecake brownies. Don't they just sound like little cubes of heaven? They were totally epic, my mouth rejoiced, and demanded that I made more, and soon. I will mouth, I will!! If you want to make these (you really should) here is the recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4320/marbled-brownies My Boyfriend and I changed the recipe due to ingredient availability; less chocolate, and one tub chocolate Philadelphia. 
Onion and Spinach Quiche. I had completely forgotten how easy it was to make quiche. The pastry was just equal butter and flour and a bit of water, The filling was just one egg with enough milk to make one cups worth. To customize I added unknown amounts of cheese, spring onion and spinach. Then cooked (after blind cooking the pastry case) to perfection. Blissful. 





Marshmallow Chronicles:

 ChocolateChocolateChocolate... CHOCOLATE MARSHMALLOWS. They were quite dense, as far as marshmallows go anyway. They were like marshmallow brownies, It was quite hot so the cocoa covering kind of melted so they were very sticky. 
Carrot cake marshmallows? Why yes, I spent an hour juicing a carrot without a juicer to find that you couldnt actually taste the carrot in the finished product. A surprising number of people when told to guess the flavour guessed gingerbread; there's no ginger in there guys!? So I think I'm going to rename them spiced marshmallows as they contained dark sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. So there is my spiced marshmallow. 

Thanks for reading,
Somnium

No comments:

Post a Comment